Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Finally!!

 So after so much trial and error we finally have hatching chickees. I did so much research before starting the incubating process but I guess it is a trial and error process.

One thing I can't emphasize enough is do your research. I had many fails because of simple errors on my behalf. One of my biggest duh moments was counting my days. (I count day one as the day I put them in the incubator, when day one is a full 24 hours in the incubator.)

Humidity is very important, don't let it dip to extremes. I found that having one hole plugged and all the bottom water trays filled kept the humidity between 40-55%. If it got a little high I would remove the other plug until it stabilized.

Another thing I hadn't thought a lot about but makes a big difference it you hen/rooster combination. I had banty roosters breeding with my standards hens which is not impossible but can prove very difficult. I received some eggs that are for a friend's farm and they are doing GREAT, even hatching 2 days early.

Happy hatching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Successes and failures...

 Well it has a been a few years since we began our homestead and sadly due to some major changes in our lives we had to put a hold on our ho...